Monday, May 12, 2008

no pressure. no fuss.

Nicole graced my tattoo collection with one of her own. It was the cherry on top of a happy sundae. A great Mother's day it was. It was meaningful, serene and oddly typical.

Given that my family is not one to plan, I don't expect anything elaborate on days like my birthday or Mother's day. But I am still disappointed when I get asked what I want to do for the day or what I want as a gift; I talk so much about what I want throughout the year, one would think the roof on our house would collapse with the hint bombs dropping. No one remembers those hints though. And a gift or present is something you give me, on your own without any pressure. Surely after so much time, my family could think of something I like. Teacher's understand.

Mother's day gifts made by children at school are the best. This year Nicole gave me a Mother's day coupon book. It's fabulous! Some of the coupons entitle me to two meals of my choice made by her, she'll make my bed for a week, and my favorite, she won't talk back to me for a week. Benjamin made me a card that says, "every day with you is like Disneyland". I joked and said it's true the way it's chaotic, they have to wait for food and sometimes I still have to take him to the bathroom. Every day I am given more time to be with my family, the ones I love the most in this world, is present enough.

That is why I am not one to make a big deal out of a marked holiday such as Mother's day. Every day is special and some days are celebrated unexpectedly for the little things. The little things are the things that matter. Every day I am a mother. So on calendar marked celebrating days, I think it should be the one's loved ones to make that day a celebrated one because I personally don't feel any different on Mother's day than I feel every day.

Like I told my husband and children yesterday, every weekend we're set to spend the day out, we come up with suggestions for how we should spend it and we contemplate lunch or dinner options, so if you want mother's day to be celebrated for me, come up with a plan and surprise me. That is truly meaningful. Meaningful like home made gifts and meals. Anything from the heart is appreciated. Just like I don't want to stuff my face with an over priced meal because we think we have to to fulfill the date, I don't want to be given a gift for the same reason.

Always expect the unexpected. And always expect to repeat your desires. This year I told Odie I wanted flowers for Mexican mother's day. Instead he gave me a beautiful card with a painted flower on it and eventhough it doesn't fill my glass bottles, I love it. Will they plan something different next year? I don't know, but as long as we're together and my kids keep their promise not to fight at least one day out of the year, I know I will be happy.

No comments: